Sunday, January 4, 2009

28 years 28 lessons

So I just turned 28 on Christmas. While I'm not particularly happy about getting older. I feel I am in a place where I can reflect on some of the big and little lessons I have learned over the years.

1. Always stand up for what YOU believe in. I don't mean believe in something to stand up for. There's a difference.

2. Be kind to everyone. Not just act kind, I mean actually being kind. Help a stranger, call a friend, just be open to doing kind things.

3. Don't be a follower. This one took me 13 years (k-12 grades) to figure it out. I wanted nothing more than to be liked by everyone, and when I say everyone, I really mean I wanted EVERYONE to like me. When I finally realized that I had my own path and my own fun personality I made more friends. I also learned...

4. Not everyone is going to like you. period. There's nothing you can do about it, so just move on.

5. Just work hard and do your best. Thanks Grandma, I learned this from you. It only took 21 years of her telling me over and over but I finally got it.

6. Listen. There is so much noise in the world today. More people talking and less just listening, most people just want to be heard. More than anything they just want someone to listen.

7. Stop Judging. Just don't do it. It isn't helpful to anyone and more than likely you just don't even know 1/2 the story.

8. Once a friend always a friend. The truth is I remember almost everyone who played a part in my life. I remember my friends from Kindergarten, Dance class, Daycare, Jr High, High School. Probably more than they remember me. If anyone called and needed a friend or were in need of something I could give, I would. (ps we're broke)

9. Forgive. Forgive everyone for everything. Easier said than done (I know, I've had to do a lot of it) but if you can't do it for them, do it for you. Keep forgiving, not to be confused with setting yourself up for being hurt over and over.

10. Believe in God. Whatever your religion, know that there is a higher loving power. He is there for you. He loves you and can help you.

11. Don't talk back. My parents will be happy to know that I finally listened. Although probably learned it later than they would have liked. Love you!

12. Be proud of who you are and where you came from. All of the things you have been through good or bad, happy or sad, have made you who you are.

13. Be honest. Just don't lie, you are only hurting yourself. I used to have a problem lying, mostly to my parents about really stupid things. It was for attention, and it never worked the way I planned it. I always got caught (well most of the time) but more importantly, with every lie I was losing myself, I felt more empty.

14. Make choices that you can be proud of.

15. Love with all your heart, with heartache there are only lessons to be learned and growing to be done. Holding back only restricts the blessings that come with loving fully.

16. Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks. Sometimes the best decision for yourself is the one everyone criticizes, laughs at, and mocks you for. Example A: I got married at 18, pretty sure there wasn't one person (aside from Sean and I) who thought it was a good idea or who had faith that it would last...and man did I hear about it! But we knew (going on almost 11 years).

17. Change it or get over it. People spend way too much time complaining about a problem when really there are only 2 choices. Change it or Get Over it!

18. Grown up things aren't ever simple or easy.

19. Let your kids be kids. So many kids are given adult responsibilities and its wrong.

20. Teach your kids responsibility with kid responsibilities, chores, kid choices, school, church. The child who never learns to choose well for him/herself can never be a positive contributing member of society. (having said that my oldest is 8, we'll see how that works)

21. Share. Share your happiness, share your service, share your food, share your toys. Just, share.

22. Laugh. The less you feel like laughing the more you need to laugh. I haven't heard of anyone dying of too much laughter, although there have been people who have died from heart break and stress.

23. Family is important. No matter how screwed up they are give them a chance. (obviously, there are exceptions)

24. It's never too late. To do something you have wanted, to forgive, to love, to share, to get to know someone, to apologize, to learn...

25. You can never decide how someone else should or does live. We can only make choices for ourselves. Just because someone might be doing something you don't agree with doesn't mean you can't love and appreciate them anyway.

26. Don't live with regret. Right the wrong, change your mind, whatever you need to do.

27. Speak your mind. Now this one has gotten me in mounds of trouble, however if you learn to do this with tact, and when its really something you feel strongly about you can't go wrong. There are only lessons to be learned.

28. Be open. Be open to hearing others opinions, even if you don't agree you can learn something about yourself and you may even be surprised that you might have changed your mind.

6 comments:

The Demille's said...

Happy Birthday! I love blogging, so thanks for letting me know about your blog! Feel free to check ours out!

Maegan said...

This sounds to me like Pres. Monson's "Joy in the Journey" talk. Just to appreciate what you have when you have it and go for whatever good there is in life.
Hearing your thoughts gives me an idea of how you've kept going for what you know is right for you despite what else is going on. Thanks for sharing!
Love, happy birthday and happy new year. I am hoping by the time I am 50 I have 28 things I've learned in my life. :)

D.Jones said...

wowza!!! you've learned a lot! I'm going to be 29 this year and I'm wondering if I could even make a list of 5 things that I have learned--tehee. Happy birthday! Miss you lots! love diana

Kelley said...

Cute Blog Megan, I like what you wrote. Makes sence. I'm glad you shared! Oh, check out my blog and my recipe blog too, Kel

Nicole Stenzel said...

I really really loved this! Megan you are awesome and I am proud to call you my friend!

Megan said...

Thanks for your love and support! If anyone out there would like to test everything you believe in within a week, post a blog on things you think you have learned! It works.