Saturday, March 29, 2008

"She's His Honey"

Last night I had to take Olivia (and all of the other kids) to the Dr. b/c I thought she might have an ear infection...negative. While we were waiting...FOREVER...for the Dr. to come in and check her out we were having a deep conversation about the differences between Dr.s and Nurses. Brought on by sweet little Aubrey. Alli ended the conversation with a great observation.
"Mommy, there are girl Dr's and boy Dr's aren't there?".
Me "Yes, there are sweetie, both boys and girls can be Dr's".
Alli "Mommy, I want to be a Dr AND a mommy when I grow up."
Me "That is great, you can be whatever you want when you grow up."
Aubrey "Mommy, I know that they call boy Dr's 'doctors' and girl Dr's 'nurses'".
Me "Well, no, doctors are doctors and nurses are nurses".
Aubrey "Right, boys are doctors and girls are nurses"
Me "No, there are boy doctors and girl doctors. And there are boy nurses and girl nurses. Girl doctors are called 'doctors' and boy nurses are also called 'nurses'. Did you know that we know someone that is learning to be a nurse?"
Both girls "no we don't!"
Me "yes we do...Aunt Heidi is going to school to become a nurse. Who is Aunt Heidi?"
Alli "Heidi is Alan and Heidi" (Alan is Sean's brother, Alan and Heidi are married)
Me "Yes, Heidi is Alan's what?"
Alli "Heidi is Alan's...hmmmm (she thinks for a sec)...I know, Heidi is Alan's Honey!"
I smile and try not to laugh out loud "Yes, Heidi is Alan's Honey"
I thought it was so cute because she came up with it herself and it was a great way to explain it for a 4 year old.

2 comments:

Anthony and Christel said...

That is so funny!! I love the dialog between you and your kids!

Anonymous said...

I that is so cute. I love the way kids minds work.